Q: StarCircleAcademy has a Meetup Page, but signup is not allowed there, why?
A: There are several related issues…
- Our events are open to people who are NOT in Meetup and which are announced in other meetup groups.
- Using one place (our website) to gather signups means we can accurately track attendance. If we allowed signups in multiple places we could become over subscribed… you know, like the airlines.
- There are many more options available through our website (e.g. discounted rates, additional notes, extra nights…)
- Meetup restrictions on content and how we can display it means we cannot highlight, and fully describe what we feel you need to know!
- For webinars and other events where there are materials to be sent, it’s not possible to automatically send you what you need. Through our website, timely delivery of materials is mostly automated.
- Because of the way payments are handled in Meetup, we can’t even know WHO has made payments. Meetup names and email addresses are never linked together.
- By processing payments through PayPal here on our website, we are guaranteed that you are a real person with a valid email address.
- On Meetup it’s possible to turn off all emails, but the only way we have to notify members is via the Meetup mechanism. We got weary of angry people “who never got the message” but it’s because Meetup doesn’t deliver them!
- Meetup constantly, and inconveniently makes changes to their tooling that make it nearly impossible to keep content organized and clear.
- Meetup “discussions” and “communication” mechanism are broken, easily hijacked and abused by spammers and miscreants. So we chose to turn almost everything off.
Note that SOME of our events, notably free events where we do not have to deliver any information allow sign up.
Q: So are you saying that you dislike Meetup?
A: Did you catch that? There are good things about Meetup, really, but the problem is Meetup is like whack-a-mole. Every time we get a process that works well, Meetup “fixes” it.